Sunday, July 10, 2011

Greetings from the land of Lorelei and Rory...

I have been in beautiful Connecticut for two weeks now. In that short time I have taken two graduate courses, two final exams, written four papers, completed one project, walked about a mile a day, eaten ice cream from the UConn ag school dairy, and called the family at least 10 times. I have seen chipmunks, squirrels, deer and groundhogs (yep) on my way to and from class, and located 8 different species of trees I've never seen before.

I have discovered the Mansfield General store, which is like something straight out of Gilmore Girls - a general store/diner/antique store where a guy with a base and a guy with a guitar play accoustical and folky renditions of Paul Simon, John Prine, and Talking Heads songs. Serious!

I have been to Mystic, by way of giant frogs on posts on a bridge, seen Bad Teacher with a group of good teachers, and seen a small collection of Theodor Suess Giesel's illustrations (right here on Campus, at the Benton Museum, where you can shop, have a latte and watch a lady mod podge chairs.)

I have learned so much about gifted education, and yet so little. I have also learned a lot about myself - what I can do, be, become,-and I have met an incredibly brilliant, generous, and talented group of people, who I consider colleagues and friends.

It has been a busy, enriching, creative, stressful two weeks, and one of the best times of my life. Tomorrow, Confratute begins. Another grad course, but with mime, fun technology, and cocktails. Hopefully a chance to go back to the general store to see if Luke or Layne's mom are hiding out.

Goodnight from Storrs, Conecticut.

1 comment: