Friday, June 24, 2011

College bound ...again

What a difference 35 years makes. The last time I left for college, Mom stood in the driveway crying. This time she may be crying, but it will either be from the weight of my suitcases, or from getting up at 4 a.m to get me to the airport. I leave tomorrow morning for the first of three very intense summer sessions that will, hopefully, result in my being awarded a Masters degree in educational psychology. The pups know something is up. They are glued to me. I will miss them. I considered setting up Skype so we could visit, but aside from the silliness of the idea, I'm short on time, and would need much time to get Mom comfortable with the technology. The very fact that this resource is commonplace makes me think about how many other things are different from the last time I went away to college.

In 1976, there were no cell phones, no GPS, no personal computers, much less notebooks, tablets, iPods. I had to call my parents, collect, from the DQ in Columbus, and then again, from the "plugged into the wall" phone with attached receiver, once I made it safely to school. I took my record player and albums for music, except for in the car where I relied on my 8 track. I typed my papers on a typewriter. Yesterday, I got an email telling me to bring my printer unless I wanted to walk to the library with my flash drive to print my papers. What science-fiction voodoo!

All changes have not been in technology. I have changed. Aside from the obvious wear and tear, additional pounds and gray hair (oh, wait, my hair is still sun kissed dirty blonde, as far as YOU know), I have changed. My purpose and focus have changed. I won't be trying to meet cute boys (unless they want to carry my luggage), or testing my new-found freedom from parental control this time. I'm jazzed about the classes, the professors, the experience!

One thing that has definitely not changed is the support I get from my mom. She has been helping me plan and pack for weeks, but more than that, she has encouraged me to do this. To go to graduate school decades after my first run at college, to leave her with the responsibility of the dogs, and the challenge of the DVR.

Thanks, Mom! I promise that his time I haven't scheduled classes around soap operas, and I won't be getting any party pics with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I don't smoke anymore, and you never fell for the whole "they give those to you to hold so it looks like everyone's having a good time" story anyway.

I'll call you on my cell phone when I get to the dorm.

No comments:

Post a Comment